Are you new to Riverside? Start here with a collection of useful information and links. Of course, feel free to contact City Hall at (319) 648-3501 if you have any questions!

Water and Sewer Services

Riverside operates its own water and wastewater plants. Located East of Highway 218 on Highway 22, these modern and efficient plants are dedicated to providing the highest quality services to Riverside citizens.

There is a $100 deposit upon connection and a monthly charge.  The property owner is responsible for water and sewer lines to the main. Water and sewer bills are sent on the 1st and due by the 15th of the month. You may pay your bill at People's bank, by mail (PO Box 188), or in the drop box located by the front door at City Hall.

Trash and Recycling

Refuse collection is contracted out, and pick-up is curbside each Monday beginning at 7 a.m. The rate for trash and recycling is currently $17.50/month or $19.50/month, depending upon size of the container, and will appear on your water bill. All recyclables should be placed curbside in the recycling cart and trash in the trash cart. Both are supplied to each property. If you do not have carts, contact your landlord. All existing properties should already have trash and recycling carts.

Yard Waste

Yard waste pickup is handled through a bag system. Johnson County Refuse bags are currently available for $1.65 per bag. Yard waste is deemed grass, small twigs, and garden waste. Open burning is permitted for yard waste and recreational activities. They will be available at City Hall and at Casey's in Riverside. Please contact City Hall regarding any questions you may have on city ordinances.

Building Permits

Fees for building permits vary depending upon the proposed project. The process for approval follows:

Fines may be imposed if construction is started before a permit is approved or if occupancy is allowed before the City approves the structure. It is the builder's responsibility to inform the City Administrator and/or City Clerk when the project is ready for inspection.

Some examples of projects requiring permits are:

If you are unsure whether your project requires a permit, inquire at City Hall.

Council Meetings

The City Council meets the first and third Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall, 60 N. Greene St. in Riverside. If the Monday falls on a holiday, the alternate date will be posted. Agendas for council meetings are posted online and in the glass window outside City Hall.

Key Services

Riverside has a volunteer Fire Department and First Responders with trained EMTs. Dial 911 in case of an emergency.

Riverside residents can support the Washington County animal shelter, PAWS & More, through the "add a dollar" program collected through your water bill. You may call City Hall and request participation to donate any amount you'd like each month. PAWS & More is a private, non-profit organization that survives primarily on adoption fees, donations, and fundraising activities.

Riverside contracts with the Kalona Public Library for library service, and this allows Riverside residents to use the Kalona, Coralville, and Iowa City libraries at no charge. Residents may first obtain a card at Kalona or present a photo ID with a Riverside address at the Iowa City and Coralville libraries to receive a card.

Useful Numbers and Contacts

City Hall
61 Greene St.
Riverside, IA 52537
(319) 648-3501

Alliant Utilities
(800) 822-4348 
REC (Eastern Iowa Power and Light)
(800) 728-1242

MidAmerican Energy
(888) 427-5632

Cable and Internet
(800) 332-0245

Phone Service and Internet
Iowa Telecom
(877) 901-4692

Post Office
81 Greene St.
Riverside, IA 52537
(319) 648-2051

Riverside Community Building
81 E. 1st St.
Riverside, IA 52537
(319) 648-5241

The News (Newspaper)
419 B Ave.
Kalona, IA 52247
(319) 656-2273

Washington County Safety Center
2181 Lexington Blvd.
Washington, IA 52353
(319) 653-2107

Emergency: 911